Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Tuesday January 8, 2008

I had a dream on Saturday night. A dream that I remembered more than most. Perhaps it was the medicine I was on for my stomach issues. 
Claire and I were at a beach, I'd say like a New Jersey, very crowded beach with lots going on. I was reading the newspaper and found an article about Bob Dylan being in town. And the photo was one of him kiteboarding. I showed it to Claire and said we should keep an eye out for him. 
Just then we saw him grab a surfboard out of the sand, run out into the ocean and paddle out like a 20 year old. When he came back on shore I had my acoustic guitar and asked him to sign it. I was holding it, facing him and couldn't see what he was writing but he wrote for like 3 minutes. 
I turned the guitar around and he'd signed his name and then written three classified ads for musical instruments, two of which I can remember. The first went as follows, all handwritten in madman handwriting.

Early 1900s Violin
(then there was a little drawing of a violin and a bow)
|($1010)| 
American Made.
Sounds Great.
It's 100% OK! by me.
then a phone number, which i really wish i could remember.

the other ad was:

MYlon NYlon Guitar
($100)
Made cheap, sounds neat.
Call Sally!
And then he'd drawn a picture of Sally's head.

So then in my dream I was in the old fellowship hall at the church I grew up in. This hall doesn't exist anymore. Bob was playing a black Stratocaster, my dad was sitting on his left playing an acoustic, someone was sitting on his right playing bass that I didn't know. I was running the sound from the behind the 20 folding chairs and dozen or so people that were watching. Dylan's amp was a little battery powered blonde amp that my dad couldn't hear. He kept switching it on and off throughout the show. 
The last bit I remember was my dad trying to take a picture of me and Dylan. Dylan wouldn't look into the camera, he was wildly looking around the room. It was not unlike trying to get a dog to look into a camera or a baby or a dreamgenius.



1 comment:

Wes W. said...

I know I've already told you this, but I love the amount One thousand ten dollars. I don't know why. Such a stupid sum to ask for something. From now on it's going to be my answer whenever anyone asks me how much something of mine would cost.